Sorel Chaput Gives BFA the 411 on the 504

Taegan Shoram, Writer

You know those “the talk of the school” teachers? The ones who teach math, history, or whatever subject. These teachers know everyone in the hall. They love kids, and love teaching.

Well, those kinds of teachers are great, but you don’t have to be one of that type of teacher to be an amazing one.  And, perhaps you are new to a school, so how could you know anyone?

Sorel Chaput is new to this school, but not new to the teaching field.

This will make 25 years as a teacher for Chaput.  BFA is fortunate to have this well experienced, and very friendly new addition to our school. 

So far? “ It’s going great,” Chaput said.

Chaput has had a very interesting teaching experience. 

“Well, I’ve been a teacher for 25 years now.  I originally taught English overseas,” Chaput said.

Were there any “first day jitters” for Chaput?

“No, I actually wasn’t {worried], since I was already a teacher. I was just new to a school, I wasn’t nervous at all, I was excited,” Chaput said.

Her last job? 

Working not far away: “ELL [at] Winooski, teaching English,” Chaput said.

Now “family” is important to everyone, even faculty.  

According to Chaput, “Yes, I am married, with 4 kids; two older boys that are out of college and a 14 year old who is a freshman here at BFA, and a ten year old girl who is still in middle school, and 3 grandchildren.”

Her education leading to teaching?

“I mainly studied English, and I went to Randolph Macon Women’s College. But in 2006, it has changed its name to just Randolph Macon College and accepts boys,” Chaput said.

Any advice for the teens at BFA?

“Don’t be afraid to try new things and follow your own path. If you just be a follower and don’t take your own path, then you will lose sight of what you really want. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and these high school years are the years to try new things,” Chaput said.

As part of the Mercury and everyone else at this school, we wish Chaput the best of luck.