The Mercury

Prom shoots for the stars

Back to Article
Back to Article

Prom shoots for the stars

Owen Biniecki, Writer

With the 2018-2019 school year quickly coming to a close, Prom is one of the last upcoming events. Alex Haag (‘20), a member of the Prom committee revealed details about the upcoming event, which will be on “May 18th from 7:00 to 10:30,” at the “Downtown Hilton on Battery Street in Burlington,” Haag said.

This year’s theme for Prom is “A Night Among the Stars, which is a hollywood-esque theme in that it includes literal stars as in the night sky as well as celebrity stars,” according to Haag. The theme was selected after a student poll was sent out to get preferences and other input.

The admission fee will be $35.00 each, and various sweets will be available for attendees, though the specific foods have yet to be determined.

“There will be various desserts and refreshments, as will be determined by price and interest,” said Haag.

These decisions have all been made by a body of interested students, the Prom committee. If you wish to influence decisions made for a Prom you wish to attend, joining the committee is quite easy.

“To become a part of the Prom committee, all you have to do is come to our meetings and help out. There is no limit to how many people can help us to brainstorm; however, there is a limit to how many people we can have come to set up Prom because after a certain point it would be too crowded, prolonging the set-up,” Haag said.

The Prom committee currently has about eight members: Kayleigh Sweeney, Peter Van Vlaanderen, Abi Domingue, Bailee Martin, Xain Demont, Matt Bayard, Morgan Deslauriers, Meg Buckley, and Alex Haag. All decisions pertaining to Prom are made by vote of the committee.

Beyond the planning side of events, Haag is rather passionate about Prom, enjoying the window it gives to have fun and decompress.

“The purpose of Prom is to provide upperclassmen with a venue to celebrate the near-completion of their time together, and to spend time with their friends. It is a time-honored tradition which gives us something to look forward to towards the end of the year…. I like that Prom gives people a chance to get together and simply have fun. It is a way for us to decompress in a very stressful time of year,” Haag said.

Haag also gave what he thinks to be the best/worst case scenarios for the upcoming event.

“The best case for Prom would be that those who are eligible to attend do, and have an amazing time. The worst case would be for very few people to show up, or people not to enjoy it,” Haag said.In the meantime, make sure to keep an eye out for “Promposals”!