Jaunty Justin

Jaunty+Justin

J'Ayonna Watkins, Writer

Justin Zabrosky is a part of the new staff here at BFA. He’s a health/physical education teacher. Zabrosky studied at the University of Vermont for his undergrad and attended Penn State University for his master’s degree. He also spent some time at Temple Medical School.  Before finding his way to BFA, he worked in professional sports, taught students on a college and high school level, and even took some time away to pursue a medical career.

Zabrosky mentioned many times that one of the most important things about his job is building a relationship or connecting with each of his students. It’s rare that you find someone who has a genuine interest in young individuals and their success, whether that be academically, mentally, and emotionally.  A day in his classroom consists of learning how to have good physical, mental, and emotional health, how to have healthy sexual and non sexual relationships, how to deal with peer pressure, how to cope positively, and how to create and maintain healthy eating habits, etc. 

“I get to teach the good, the bad, and the ugly about our society and how to make health enhancing decisions,” Zabrosky said.

Values are oftentimes what drives us to be the best version of ourselves and do what we love. Zabrosky’s values consist of individuality and adaptability.  

“I value individuality. I believe that everyone has their own adventure that they’re going to pursue…being able to take things on as they come to you and try to always look at the brighter side of life,” Zabrosky said.

Although he’s only been at BFA for a few weeks, he says that his job has been “more fulfilling than any job he’s ever done.” Zabrosky added that he applied to many schools before being contacted to work at BFA.  He was excited to have the opportunity because he is familiar with the area.  Although being a teacher is one of his best decisions yet, it wouldn’t have been possible without some advice from his professor in college.  

“No matter what, if you’re going to teach or not still apply, to get that license…I didn’t think I was ever going to teach until 20 years later when I had to ask for a letter of recommendation,” Zabrosky said.