The Hive at NCTC

NCTC students and staff celebrate the end of their community scavenger hunt at Taylor Park.
Photo credit:  Dino Patsouris

NCTC students and staff celebrate the end of their community scavenger hunt at Taylor Park. Photo credit: Dino Patsouris

Adelyne Collin, Editor

Northwest Career and Technical Center started their year with The HIVE, a series of events that exposes students to resources both in school and around their community. This event was developed by NCTC’s Educator Effectiveness Team in 2019. Now in its third year, The HIVE is split into three days of collaborative group activities that engage students and show them what it means to be a part of the NCTC community. The event ran from Sept. 15-17. 

“We’re committed to doing something at the start of the year to bring everyone together and make each student feel like they’re a part of something bigger,” said human services instructor, Jennifer Konrad, a member of the Educator Effectiveness Team. “There are so many resources available to students outside of their classroom and this event really exposes the students to what our school and outside community have to offer.”

Students from all programs were paired with staff members for the entire event to create diverse groups, allowing students to make new connections. 

Students spent the first two days of The HIVE learning about all of the school resources available to them, and ended with a scavenger hunt around downtown Saint Albans on Friday afternoon.

“Students were able to explore the history on Main Street and also got their first look at how NCTC invests itself in the community beyond our campus,” said Ashley Duncan-Aubin, cosmetology instructor and Educator Effectiveness Team member.

Students in NCTC programs are actively collaborating with community partners:  Building Trades is assisting with a renovation at Martha’s Kitchen, Human Services and Public Safety volunteer with the Samaritan House, the Culinary Program collaborates with multiple restaurants downtown and the Work-Based Learning Coordinator, Robert Thayer, has created job shadow and internship opportunities for students at businesses all over town.

“We’ve received extremely positive feedback from both students and community members for The HIVE. The week has been very successful, the students have been making great connections, and we’re all excited to be back for the year” Duncan-Aubin said.