BFA Bobwhites Baseball Hopes to Get Hot Before the Postseason.

Bobwhite baseball players on the field. Messenger photographer Adam Laroche

Liam Wood, Contributor

The Bobwhites have a remaining schedule of three games left that include South Burlington (7-7), Champlain Valley Union High School (11-1) and Mount Mansfield (3-10). The Bobwhites sit at a 5 and 8 record and are currently the 10th seed in state among Division 1 teams.  The Bobwhites have dropped their last four games mostly due to defensive errors. 

Although the Bobwhites have been struggling recently, they have plenty of talent to make a run in the playoffs. The team is senior-heavy with a lot of great leaders on it, which is key for any successful team. 

The Bobwhites got off to a good start to the season and although they haven’t found the win column recently, they are talented enough to make a run at Centennial Field. They have some key wins including the number two-seed Colchester Lakers and the St. Johnsbury Hilltoppers. 

In order for the Bobwhites to get back into the win column, they need to fix some minor details. The Bobwhites have pretty much been in every game losing by three or fewer runs in three out of their eight losses. Their biggest problems this season have come from defensive errors early in games, digging themselves into holes it is hard to get out of. 

As the regular season is wrapping up for all spring sports, the end of the season is one of the most crucial parts of the season. This is where teams can get hot and make runs deep into the postseason or go on a slump and get cold and face elimination.

Any team that gets hot with the bats and has a pitcher that shuts down opposing teams can beat anyone. Pitching, being one of the most important things in baseball, can be the sole determining factor in winning or losing a baseball game. The Bobwhites, with good help defensively, have a good pitching staff that can shut down the opposing team’s bats, which will be a key factor as the playoffs are right around the corner. 

The VPA will be releasing the pairing for this year’s baseball playoffs this Sunday with times and dates of each game. Look out for the underdog Bobwhites to make a run in this year’s VPA baseball playoffs