Haley Seymour (’19): Paving Her Own Way

Haley+Seymour

Haley Seymour

Rachel Ledoux, Editor

For many students, pursuing a college degree is a means of honing their talent in a certain field. Haley Seymour (‘19), a Bellows Free Academy alumni, is a prime example of how graduates can utilize skills from high school in these fields.

According to Seymour, during her time at BFA, Seymour had a passion for journalism and creative writing. She served first as a writer, then Co-Editor of The Mercury, as well as taking the journalism class as an upperclassman.

Seymour said that the skills she learned as a Mercury staff member and journalism student benefitted her greatly going into college. She also expressed an appreciation for Poetry Out Loud, which helped to improve her confidence when public speaking.

“I can’t imagine what it would have been like to start college without [the knowledge I gained in those activities],” Seymour said. “It really set me up to succeed from the start.”

Seymour added that The Mercury helped her discover her interest in pursuing a career in communications.

“Having that background definitely inspired me,” Seymour said.

Now a senior at Champlain College, Seymour is majoring in Professional Writing with a Journalism concentration, with a minor in Public Relations. She is also Editor-in-Chief of their school newspaper, The Crossover

Despite graduating years ago, Seymour has remained involved with BFA activities.  Seymour said that just last week she visited Larissa Hebert’s journalism class to speak with students about her experiences as an editor and student studying journalism.  

On top of that, Seymour has contributed to journalism outside of school as a Student Editor for VTDigger’s Underground Workshop.

Seymour said that will be graduating from college in May and discussed some of her plans moving forward. Seymour explained that she’s planning to stay in Vermont with her boyfriend, and that she is looking into a range of career paths, from journalism to marketing. 

“I’ve been doing a bit of networking with Vermont newspapers, just trying to get my name out there for now,” Seymour said.

To close, Seymour shared some advice for BFA students. 

“Some [high school students] think that they have to go to college, work a nine-to-five [job] and get married in order to be successful,” Seymour said. “And that’s completely fine for some people, but it doesn’t work for everyone.”

According to Seymour, real success comes from paving your own way rather than just doing things because they are considered successful by others.

“It’s important to follow the path that you need to be on, and not the path that somebody else is setting up for you,” Seymour said.