Local Summer Job Opportunities for Teens

Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30478819@N08/50251045948

Charlotte Pierce, Writer

As the summer approaches, many students are starting the hunt for a summer job.  This job can be full-time or part-time and will earn them some money as they gain more freedom as a teenager. 

The Mercury created a survey about summer jobs that was answered by 39 BFA students, which varied from 14-year-olds to 18-year-olds. The most common age of those who responded was 17, and 53.8% of the people surveyed already have a summer job lined up.  When asked “at what age did you get your first job,” most students said 15.  Their answers provided good advice and job ideas for students currently looking to find a job. 

The following list of summer job opportunities was put together from a helpful document provided by BFA’s Flexible Pathways Coordinator, Liam Mahabir, the results of The Mercury survey and Charlotte Pierce’s (‘22) knowledge from her own summer job hunt. 

The list below is written in order of popularity according to The Mercury survey. In the survey, students were asked, out of a list of jobs, which sounded best to them:  56.4% of students liked Vermont State Park/Tyler’s Place staff member position, 33.3% of students liked Hannaford’s/grocery store employee and 7.7% of students liked fast food employee best. 

Vermont State Park– The Vermont State Parks Program hires employees to work State Parks located all over Vermont. The entry-level position they have open currently is a park attendant. This would be great a job if a student enjoys being outside and helping maintain Vermont’s beautiful nature. If you are interested in applying for this job, click on the website linked. 

Tyler’s Place Family Resort– The Tyler’s Place Family Resort is a resort for the whole family where people go to have fun outdoors. They are currently hiring staff for the summer season, which is from May 28-September 11. If you are interested in applying for this job, click on the website linked. 

Hannafords– Hannafords is a grocery store with many locations all around Vermont. There are multiple locations around Franklin and Chittenden counties, including St. Albans, Milton, Williston, Enosburg and more. This is a great option for students looking for a job as they hire many teenagers. If you are interested in applying for this job, click on the website linked. 

St. Albans Cooperative Creamery (Coop store)– This store is located in St. Albans, Vt., and it sells a variety of products, such as farming, automotive, lawn/gardening and pet products. If you are interested in applying for this job, call 802-524-9366 and ask for Matt. 

McDonald’s: Mcdonald’s is similar to Hannafords as there are many locations around Franklin and Chittenden counties, and they are always hiring teenagers. They are currently hiring crew members. If you are interested in applying for this job, click on the website linked. 

In the survey, students had lots of great advice about summer jobs. Some students said that you will have to learn how to deal with people, customers and co-workers. 

Some respondents said that although it is good to have a job during the summer, you should not forget that it is your vacation. Remember that relaxing is also important for students in high school, so getting a part-time job would be a solution to being overworked.