Homework: Necessary?

Homework%3A+Necessary%3F

Isaac Bittner, Amira Derbala, Isaac Shover & Caleb Smith, BFA Students

This investigation and story was submitted by Ms. Jacqueline Kaufman’s freshman English class:

We all know homework can’t kill us, but it sure gives us a lot of stress. We surveyed 6% of the freshman class and 11 of our teachers.  Students know homework isn’t going anywhere except home with us. Teachers all believe they give just enough homework, and we need to do it. The survey asked students to choose from a list of suggestions for making homework more manageable.  Students overwhelmingly chose these two options:

Each course gets two nights for homework, and all teachers give less homework to all students.

Of the 11 teachers surveyed, each teacher responded with a similar response. “Homework is necessary.” Teachers are aware that less homework would make students happier, better rested and less stressed.  They give us homework so we can practice, remember and get better at what we need to do in their classes. They give us homework so we can go deeper into their curriculums in class.

The number of BFA students and teachers surveyed who think homework is beneficial.

The survey data is in the tables below.  Since students and teachers all get it: BFA thinks homework is necessary, can’t we get together, so teachers get to give necessary homework, and we get a little less each night?