Next Stop News

The Mercury

Next Stop News

The Mercury

Next Stop News

The Mercury

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Mercury Poll Of The Week
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Elisabeth Smith the New Student Support Specialist

Elisabeth Smith the new Student Support Specialist.
Smith’s dog Tinker Bell.

As with the start of every school year, new people will join a community. BFA, in this case, is gaining Elisabeth Smith, a new student support specialist. She prefers to go by Elisabeth. She was born and raised in Vermont and deeply enjoys the culture in the state. She lives down on a little dirt road with her family and pets, just on the outskirts of St. Albans. 

Smith is fitting in well at BFA, enjoying the students she has met, and hoping to meet more in the future. When asked how it was going, referring to her time so far she said, “Great. I’ve felt very welcomed here and believe I’m contributing to a positive learning environment.” 

“I enjoy connecting with and supporting adolescents,” Smith said. When The Mercury asked  why she applied for a job at BFA. She also stated she was nervous her first day and how overwhelmed she became when dealing with the sheer size of BFA.

“I was most recently a Social Worker at Centerpoint School for the past ten years. Before that, I supported youth in residential and community-based programs,” Smith said. She earned her Bachelors in Social Work with minors in Psychology and Sociology at Castleton. She later obtained her Masters in Social Work at UVM. “I am also Animal Assisted Therapy Certified through Harcum College and other training,” Smith said. 

“I treasure advisory and enrichment as times I can most smoothly meet with students,” Smith said. She went on to mention her excitement for the Mama Mia production that’s coming up soon. 

When asked about her responsibilities for her new job, Smith said, “As your new Student Support Specialist, I am here to build, maintain and restore safe & healthy relationships across the school. I am happy to assist when things get extra tricky, especially with social, emotional and mental health needs.” 

Smith typically brings her four legged companion with her to school, Tinker Bell or Tink, as many students know her. She loves being picked up and pet. Tinker Bell is a five years old chihuahua mix and AKC Canine Good Citizen Certified.

“She [Tinker Bell] likes being picked up, held and pet. Everyone has been so kind and welcoming to her. I encourage students to come meet her in A204 any day except Wednesday, which is her day off,” Smith said.