Next Stop News

The Mercury

Next Stop News

The Mercury

Next Stop News

The Mercury

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Mercury Poll Of The Week
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

BFA Theatre Presents: Mamma Mia!

Susan Palmer
Mamma Mia! Advertisement Poster

Every November, the Bellows Free Academy Theatre Department presents a musical performance to the community. This year, they will be performing the musical, Mamma Mia!, based on a movie of the same name.

The show is an exploration of family, parenthood and friendship on a Greek island. It features a myriad of songs by ABBA – performed by a live pit band and singers – which will be accompanied by Colleen McHugh’s original choreography.

Rehearsals began in September, and members of the cast and crew have been dedicating several hours each week to perfecting the performance.

According to Director Susan Palmer, the show is coming together very well.

“We’re coming into the final stages where theatre magic starts to take its charm and all the little details [start] to thread together into [a] beautiful show,” Palmer said.

This will also be the first time the Theatre Department tasks a student with managing the musical’s Costume Crew. Leeza Kusmit (‘24), who has acted in past BFA productions, has been recruited to design costumes for the show, aided by Ivy Hoang (‘24). According to Kusmit, the experience has been fulfilling.

Mamma Mia! has a very groovy fashion sense,” Kusmit said. “I’m so glad I’ve been able to help with costumes for my first year in Theater Tech.”

The first Mamma Mia! performance will be just the first act, put on for St. Albans Town Educational Center students on November 15. Subsequent performances will follow on the evenings of November 16, 17 and 18, with an additional afternoon performance on the 18.

Several Mamma Mia! Cast and crew members shared their excitement for these upcoming performances. Lily Duffy (‘25), who will be playing the part of Sky, spoke to the Mercury about her enthusiasm.

“I’m so hyped,” Lilly Duffy (‘25) said. “This is going to be fire.”

The Mercury also spoke to Assistant Stage Manager Dani Reardon, who expressed a similar sentiment.

“I’m so excited to be involved with this show,” Dani Reardon (‘24) said. “The actors are so amazing.”

This was corroborated by ensemble member Alden Heskett (‘26).

“I’m really excited to see our work pay off,” Heskett said. “We’ve worked really hard to get here.”

Mamma Mia! performances will be held at 7:00 pm on November 16, 17, and 18. Doors open at 6:30 pm. There will also be a 1:00 pm matinee performance on November 18 – doors open at 12:30 pm. Tickets can be purchased here. Refreshments will be available for purchase during each show.