Students Get Styled at NCTC

An NCTC cosmetology student does another student’s hair. Photo credit: Ivy Hoang

Rebekah Dalmer, Writer

According to Northwest Career and Technical Center’s Cosmetology teacher, Ashley Duncan-Aubin, the Cosmetology program is now offering free appointments for Bellows Free Academy students during Wednesday enrichment periods. 

Although this a major perk for BFA students looking for free styling appointments, Duncan-Aubin said that this program is a necessity for the Cosmetology program to meet recently-updated Vermont standards for a licensing program. These new federal funding requirements call for 1,000 hours of a combination of theory and practical work under the supervision of a professional. NCTC’s professional is Ashley Duncan-Aubin. 

According to Duncan-Aubin, the stylists for Wednesday appointments are 2nd and 3rd year students, as well as two adult students who have returned to complete the licensing program. The student stylists are required to have 250+ hours of theory and practical work before taking appointments. Duncan-Aubin said that most of them have “upwards of 500 hours” of practice. 

“These girls are talented,” Duncan-Aubin said. “[They’re] only allowed to do services they are ready for.” 

Student work can be found on their Instagram pages; their handles can be found in the new School of Cosmetology pamphlet. 

According to Duncan-Aubin, the salon in the cosmetology classroom follows all the same rules as a licensed salon. She said the NCTC Cosmetology salon will also be open to the community from 12-3 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays once they pass inspection. 

Duncan-Aubin said that the services offered during enrichment are shampoo, cut, blowdry, manicure/pedicure and waxing. The services are limited due to the time frame, which is just an hour during the Wednesday enrichment. 

How do you schedule an appointment? First, students must pick up a parent permission slip from Cosmetology to fill out. Then sign up on Flextime and reach out to Ms. Duncan-Aubin directly, or a specific student stylist, to coordinate what services you would like and when they can be done.